October 25, 2022 #solTuesdays
In the last few weeks I’ve been reminded that there is always more to learn, and to watch for what is surprising. This has happened both when we’ve been camping and when I’ve been subbing, which I started doing about six weeks ago.
Here are some of my camping lessons from the last few weeks. Below are pictures for many of the lessons. Do you have a favorite lesson you’ve learned?
- It is possible to back up too far. At least it was a bank of dirt and not trees! So although it doesn’t help to spend all your time looking backwards, sometimes you need to pay attention.
- You also need to look for curbs and not put your stabilizer jacks on those. (Might be the voice of experience here.) Things behind you can cause problems now.
- Where are you getting your fresh water? If you fill at home, you carry a lot of extra weight. (Did you know water weighs about 8 pounds a gallon??) If you fill at the campground, you might end up having to hold the handle uncomfortably… I can do hard things, even when I don’t like it.
- What did I forget this last trip? The milk for Greg’s coffee. Again. Oops. You often forget something. Oh, have I learned this lesson repeatedly over the years of teaching. (Forgot to cut the paper, forgot to order pencils, forgot what time the conference started…) Good to know I run true to form in retirement.
- We had our camper in for a recall. They could only fix part of it now. We need to replace our toilet seal. The bathroom door came off its track two trips ago. Something will break. It’s not “if”, but “when”. You need to be okay with things going wrong or breaking, and find a way to make it better.
- This last trip had a “porch swing” near the lake, and it was a rare, clear sunny day. We literally sat and swung gently for a long time. Take time to relax and recharge. It’s not always easy.
- Keep an eye out when you are outside. Take pictures, both mentally and with a camera/phone. You find beauty in so many places, some of which are unexpected. (I love the covered bridge picture!)